Doodling on the Wacom Cintiq 12WX

Cintiq Wacom 12WX and MacBook

I’m going to write a first impressions post for Obsessable about the Wacom Cintiq 12WX, but I thought I’d tease that piece a bit with these pictures, as they’re more about me cartooning than about the 12WX itself.

These sketches were done in ArtRage 2.5. Here’s the first sketch:

sad and happy

… and here’s the same sketch after coloring:

sad and happy color

I’m still getting used to this device, but in short: I love it.

UPDATE: I whipped the sketch above into a only mildly amusing comic over at Screaming Tongue:
Screaming Tongue: Cycle

UPDATE AGAIN: My first impressions review of the Wacom Cintiq 12WX is now up and live over at Obsessable.

This entry was posted in Art, Daily Doodle, doodling, Gadgets, Personal, sketching, Wacom Cintiq 12WX and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Doodling on the Wacom Cintiq 12WX

1. prefabrik says:

wohaw its very nice projected. goog Lcd panel.

2. ryan says:

Haha. I love that particular comic. That smiling guy in blue reminds me of my rich grand dad. We thought he was kinda crazy for preaching that we put money in gold for many years. Now everybody's stocks and mutual funds are losing while Grandpa is still smiling.

3. ryan says:

Ah great review. You also have a setup that I'm looking for: an Alu Macbook and a Cintiq! Just a few questions if you don't mind answering. How is the 2D graphic performance on the Macbook/Cintiq when you are drawing big high res files? Does it lag or slow down?

4. cksthree says:

So far it handles great. The only slow down I've noticed at all is when I'm working in a super high res picture in Corel Painter X and I'm zoomed way out (like 8% so I can see the entire canvas) and using one of the more detailed brushes to do a overall rough sketch (but that's not really a normal use case; it was more me just experimenting with the application).

5. giulio says:

hi cksthree!
    do u have any idea if the cintiq works on a MB Air (first generation)? it should be more or less the same, but… …the graphic card has been changed though… mmm I was thinking to get one but I wanna be sure before buying!!

6. cksthree says:

Hey giulio, the Air is supposed to support DVI or VGA external monitors up to 1920 by 1200 pixels, so since the Cintiq 12WX is a 1280 x 800 monitor it should work with it fine, although I haven't tested it.

7. giulio says:

thank you soo much, really kind of you… i'll look on the internet if there is somebody who tried…

8. ryan says:

Thanks for the feedback. Have you upgraded your Macbook to 4 Gigs of RAM yet? Perhaps the slowdown is due to lack of RAM? If that is the case, I wonder if giving it more RAM will improve drawing performance on laggy situations.TIA

9. cksthree says:

Yeah I think more RAM would definitely solve it. Right now I'm at 2GBs of RAM, and like I said, the lag only appears in edge cases like a zoomed out high res pic with a really detailed brush. Same pic zoomed in with the same detailed brush doesn't lag at all, so it's probably just a bit of RAM slowdown.

10. ryan says:

I guess that confirms it. Please post your impressions once you do upgrade to 4 Gigs. :-)