The future…

After a lot of thought, I’ve decided it’s time for me to move on from Netscape and AOL. Last Monday, I gave my two weeks notice with AOL. I assure you there is no ill will between myself, AOL, and Netscape. In fact, I hope to remain on board in some sort of consultant role with the company past my last day to help transition Netscape to new leadership.

Just over a year ago, Jason approached me with the first hinted ideas of rebuilding Netscape and from January 17th when I started full time at AOL until the beta launch of the new site on June 15th, we worked together to assemble an excellent team capable of building something new in the Web 2.0 space: a social news network with a very visible editorial team on top, helping to add context to the news, provide original reporting on top of the stories voted to the top by our members, and police and protect the site from abuse and spam with as much transparency as possible. After launch, we worked at a furious pace, adding more features, tweaking the site, and listening to the feature requests from our members. When Jason left in November and I took over as Director and General Manager of Netscape, I felt that there was still much work left to be done. In the last several months Netscape has welcomed its 100,000 member on board, we rethought the story capsule and the way that the homepage results are created to help balance the news on the site and grow traffic to the wide variety of Channels we provide, and we hired a new Senior Editor for the site to help us highlight the editorial work and content that the Anchors create. We have a rock solid development team led by Tom Drapeau capable of continuing to dazzle and innovate with new features. The site has grown to the point where I know it will continue to grow strongly without my presence at the helm. I’ll still be on board, commenting and participating with the rest of the community. I love the new Netscape and I hope to see it continue to grow and flourish online in the years and decades to come.

As always, my primary interests are writing, editing, education, community building, and creating great content for all the information hungry audiences out there. With that in mind, I’m looking to do some creation, whether it be a new book or perhaps serving as a consultant for a new enterprise. As both a professional blogger and social news editor, I’m well versed in Web 2.0, in building audiences, in growing online communities, in managing a remote workforce, and in coming up with new feature ideas that will help grow products. If you’re looking for someone with these skills, then we should talk. Here’s a resume that I’ve slapped together over at Emurse (run by my pals Alex and Gavin) and make sure you check out my LinkedIn profile.

I am a father, a husband, a blogger, a parrot owner, a pug owner, and the VP of Technology/Engineering for Chaotic Moon. This site has no comments. If you want to talk to me, send me an @cksample on Twitter. If you like this post, feel free to send me a micropayment via Bitcoin.
This entry was posted in Blogging, Consultant, Online Media, Personal, Writing. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to The future…

1. fbz says:

C.K.: You will be sorely missed, but I have NO doubt that our paths will cross as you mentioned when we talked about your decision. You are a champion of flexibility and a gentleman. It has been a pleasure working with you at TUAW and Netscape, I wouldn’t have had it any other way. Cheers and best of luck, but you won’t need it, you’re a rockstar.

cheers,
    fbz

2. Best of luck C.K. And please keep in touch.

Mu.

3. Pingback: C.K. Sample III Resigns From Netscape.com (And AOL)

4. Tim Loftis says:

Best of luck, my friend. You will be missed!

5. Congratulations and best of luck!

6. Corey Spring says:

Chalk another requisite ‘good luck’ from me, CK. I still remember when you called me up and sold me on the idea of working for Netscape.

7. Kevin C. Tofel says:

C.K., always good to go out on top; your hard work at AOL has helped reinvent Netscape. Best wishes in the future!

8. Dude, I cannot thank you enough for all that you have done in the past for Netscape and me. True I have bee critical of you guys and Netscape when it first launched but Netscape turned out great in the end and I hope you move on to better things.

9. Jim says:

Good riddens,
    I have seen Netscape go down hill in a big way. Talk about a liberal site. Good Lord, you people need to get a life!

10. tom hagon says:

what? who the hell is ck??

11. C.K. says:

bitches

12. Grant Robertson says:

Arrgh, You’ll be missed CK! Wishing you the best..

13. Pingback: Deep Jive Interests » BREAKING: Netscape’s Director Resigns … Here’s Why

14. john says:

Good Riddens,

Its about time this company gets a clean slate to work with. While it has improved in some places it has degraded in others.

15. Derek says:

You rocked the Netscape like a vandal, C.K. Thanks for everything.

P.S. What the hell is a “riddens”?

16. Harold says:

I well remember purchasing my Netscape Browser and E-Mail Client, when it was the only thing around.
    It beat the hell out of anything else around and except for SeaMonkey, still does , that’s if you are serious of course.

All I can say now is fare well dear friend, why did you desert us?

As for the Netscape Web site, (Ver 1) as some one outside the USA it was topical and interesting.

Netscape Web Site Ver 2, may make sense to a resident of the USA, but for me its Blah Blah Blah.
    And while not meaning to be rude or seem ignorant, what the hell does “GOP” Stand for?

You should be talking to the world, not just the USA which is a part of the world.

Your Presidents often say things like “the American people have been harmed or will not stand by and let this happen”.

What about being inclusive and saying instead the “Free World” in place of “American people”. If the President did, he may carry the rest of the World with him. Not just the “American People”.

Down here in the world of Down Under we often have a chuckle about the Vietnam War. After all Per Capita we had more troops in Vietnam than the USA.

If we did a head count the same may apply to the Middle East today.

Sorry about the “Bitch” but isn’t it about time we started to call a spade a shovel and got back down to our roots.

Frankly the “NEW” Netscape leaves me cold and asking what the hell is going on.

Stop Navel Gazing!

If you want to be a “Web Site” instead of a Software Company, At least be inclusive, or readers out side your country will simply turn OFF and you will loose a big part of your audience.

I don’t know who CK is but if he or she’s (CK Craig “West Wing”?) leaving helps get you back to your roots HURRAH.

17. Tony says:

Wow … what a rant. Sounds like someone didn’t “get” the new Netscape, and never bothered to understand either.

My take is that its not really a America vs. rest of the world thing (how did it get to that? I’m Canadian) but a generational thing — guess Harold’s of a demographic that doesn’t understand that the nature of Netscape is such that submitted news is biased on the population and culture of the userbase … which happens to be mostly North American.

But “Roots?” Wow. Come on.

t

18. David says:

Most of the “new” netscape is blah, blah, blah… Some of it is news worthy, but most of it is somebody’s personal/political agenda. I like how we can post comments to the “stories”, but i don’t like the fact how people just carry on conversations within the stories’ comments section.

The “web 2.0 version of netscape” is just stupid to me. It looks like you tried to make it a forum site under the pretense of posting “news”-related stories. A forum should only be a section of the site, not the whole website. Very stupid, if you ask me.

19. Shane Coffey says:

Before you go unban me! LOL

20. Pingback: A gentleman and a scholar :: Now I Have a Blog Too

21. Pingback: Sample the Web | New York, Mahalo, and the future…